Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow Rollers


Yesterday, following our various days of freezing weather and snow accumulations, a warm and windy day fell upon our valley.  While driving home, I began to notice that the mix of wind and warming temperatures had filled some open fields with snow rollers. 
I have seen snow rollers only a couple of times in my life.  A perfect combination of light, sticky snow, slightly above freezing temperatures and ground winds are required to peal a layer of snow and roll it across the landscape.  The rollers often form with a hole in the center and look rather like an upright doughnut.
Posted are two photographs that I took with my Droid about a mile from my house.
 
 
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: