Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Where Not To Stay In Panguitch, Utah


Over the varied course of my fifty-some years I have stayed in some interesting motel and hotel rooms.  I vividly recall, for one, a night I spent in the Metlen Hotel in Dillon, Montana.  What made my stay at the “Met” interesting was that a live country and western band was playing Waylon Jennings tunes underneath my bed as I tried to sleep.  From a strict scientific point of view, the band was one floor below me.  But that is not how it sounded to me.
I also remember a beautiful teakwood-furnished, marble-floored room located on a humid ocean beach in Vietnam that filled with fine white sand from the beach because my wife and I left the door open while walking the windy beach nearby.
Two nights ago, I finally slept in the room from hell.   I write this as a warning to anyone planning a trip to Panguitch, Utah where the room may be found.
I first noticed the brownish carpeting in the room, which appeared to have been the venue for either a series of rodeos or several Roman bacchanals in a previous decade.  Colleen immediately suggested we wear socks at all times as a way to maintain our Ebola-free status.
I was tempted to sleep in my shoes.
The television remote appeared to be vintage 1980.  Honestly, the remote had so few buttons, I was totally confused.  What do you do with “on” and “off” and four arrows?  Once I finally manage to find a decent station on the television, the feed for that station continued to blink on and off.
The shower, though it looked normal, was in fact a high powered pressure washer.  I will spare you details of the sounds I produced when I accidentally exposed some of my more tender parts to the direct spray.
I found the bed pillows most disturbing.  The pillows themselves were covered in plastic.  I mean plastic: honest-to-goodness-will-hold-a-dozen-watermelons-as-you-drag-them-around kind of plastic.  The pillows crinkled when you moved and the instant you tried to pull a pillow into place the cover shot off the pillow like a loaded rubber band.  Worse than that, the pillows stuck to me like blood-sucking leeches once the pillow cases were gone.  If I rolled over, the blood-sucking pillows rolled with me, loudly crinkling the whole time.  I woke late in the night amid a tangle of plastic pillows and free-ranging pillow cases.
In fairness, my sister and her husband overnighted in room #4 of the same establishment and encountered a reasonably pleasant experience.  Given the experiences of my sister and her husband, I will not mention the name of the motel and will, instead, recommend you refuse to stay in room #7 at any of the motels in Panguitch, Utah.
You’re welcome.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment