Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Back-Handed Compliments


I first talked with “that girl” on a dating site.  Dating sites are a natural venue for exaggeration and false images.  Many people use old photographs for their profile pictures and fib about their age, weight, height, financial status, etc.  I met that girl for a hiking date after we had talked on the phone for a while.  Upon seeing that girl in person for the very first time, I said: “You look way better in person!”

She offered a puzzled expression.

I laughed.  “That did not quite sound right.  I think that is what they call a back-handed compliment.  I intended to make nice.”

That occurred some six months ago.  Last weekend, that girl evened the score with me.  After I showed her an image of me that someone had just texted to my twice-as-smarter-than-me-phone, that girl said: “You look tall in that picture!”

Yep…a back-handed compliment.

Just for fun, I have posted the picture.  Maybe the tiny house in the background gives the false impression of elevation.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment