Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Saving Baby Jessica


Remember baby Jessica?  While playing with some other children, she dropped 22 feet into a well at her aunt’s house in Midland, Texas, and got stuck.  That was back in 1987.  Jessica was a mere 18 months old at the time.
I woke at 4-something this morning thinking about her.
Why?
I don’t know.
One second my mind is digging carrots in my neighbor’s garden.  The next second it is jamming a stick through the spokes of some kid’s bicycle wheel as he rides past.
So I got up this morning and poked around the web a bit looking for baby Jessica.  I even found a baby Jessica rescue webpage with a timeline and about a gazillion related links.
For those of you unfamiliar, the baby Jessica story is all about the dramatic rescue following her dropping into the well. For the next two-and-a-half days rescue crews, including mining experts, tunneled horizontally through rock to reach the little girl.  Throughout the rescue, Jessica could be heard crying, humming, and singing through a microphone that had been dropped down the well.
Hang on baby Jessica, we are coming to get you!
I spent a few minutes reading through some of the stories about her rescue.  It boiled into a worldwide news phenomenon.  How is it that dozens might die someplace and get little notice, but the baby Jessica story went big?
Actually, I know how.  It was my wife’s fault.  People like her, I mean.  She always held her heart out for children and animals.  She was transfixed by the story.
I even feel a little better for rescuing Jessica a second time this morning.
You’re welcome.
Posted is a recent picture of Jessica I found on the web.








--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Despite lying and deceiving politicians, oil pipeline big money land grabbers, and despite greedy pharmaceutical companies that prey on the elderly and the infirmed, the world is still a good place to live in because of people who value life and care for the helpless, like Jessica.

    ReplyDelete