Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nighthawk Coffee

I woke this morning feeling muddled.  First thought: coffee.
My coffee maker (because I believe simpler lasts longer) is one with zero frills.  No digital clock.  No automatic controls.  I prep my coffee maker in the evenings so all I need to do in the morning is pour water into the machine and turn on power.
After waking today, I shuffled off to the kitchen, poured water from the carafe into the machine, and walked off to soak in the hot tub.
This time of year, I can hear my coffee brewing through the open window above the kitchen sink as I relax in the tub.  This morning, I thought to myself: “Geez, the coffee sounds different today.  More like nighthawks swooping and calling off dives all around me.”
I laid my head against the rim of the hot tub and listened to my nighthawk coffee brewing.
Following my soak, I dressed and waddled off to grab a cup of coffee.
When I arrived at the machine, I discovered that I had neglected to turn it on.   The carafe was empty. 

--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment