Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

What Are You Wearing?

I need to share a conversation with you.
I’ll begin with a bit of background. 
You already know I am functionally incapable of dressing myself.  Oh, sure, I can pull socks onto my feet with the best of them.  I am able to jump into a pair of pants.  I fling on shirts with the ease of a seven-year-old heading to the swimming hole.  But I do have some issues.
My problems with dressing generally fall into one of three categories: mismatching, inappropriate for the occasion, or inside-out.
On some occasions (not as rare as I would like), I may mismatch inside-out or dress inappropriately and mismatch.  Additionally, I have within my closet a few just-plain-ugly and a few outdated articles of clothing that sporadically filter out onto my person.
Late yesterday afternoon, that girl and I were invited to a poolside barbecue.  I leapt into a pair of swimming trunks and pulled on a polo shirt as we prepared to leave the house.  I was standing in the kitchen when the following conversation occurred:
THAT GIRL (entering the kitchen): “When will you be ready to go?”
ME: “Whenever.”
THAT GIRL: “What shirt, other than THAT one, do you plan on wearing?
ME (squinting as I scanned down at my belly): “This is not good?”
THAT GIRL: *
ME: “My plan is to wear whatever shirt you are about to pick out for me.”
--Mitchell Hegman

* You know the look I am talking about….

2 comments: