Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Nightlights

Things are not going well over here.  My stomach started acting up at about 10:00 yesterday morning.  By 1:00 in the afternoon, I had gophered under a pile of blankets and pillows on my sofa.  My gut felt as if occupied by a python snake trying to find a way out.
When I got up at about 4:00 to drink some water, I ended up vomiting in the nearest toilet.
I flopped back on the sofa and I stayed there the entire night, drifting in and out of sweaty dreams and twisting into and untwisting from the blankets.
It occurred to me, each time I awakened in the darkness, that we have an inordinate number of nightlights in our house.  The authority having jurisdiction (a person formerly known as that girl) has an affinity for nightlights.  These lights are plugged into receptacles at floor level, fixed on shelves, plugged into countertop receptacles, and one is high atop the hutch in our dining room.
Waking to all of these lights fixed at various elevations all around me was not unpleasant—just notable.
My stomach is still unsettled this morning.  I didn’t even make coffee.  I don’t think my stomach will tolerate much beyond a sip of water.  Eating is still entirely out of the question.  Just me and my 20 pounds of housecat sharing sofa space and waiting for the sunlight to wash over the nightlights.

-- Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for your discomfort. Sounds like stomach flu to me. Once your body has expelled the culprit you'll feel better. But the acid in coffee might not help prevent frequet trips to the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel better now, thank you. Still taking it easy on both coffee and food.

    ReplyDelete