Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Winter at the Cabin

I have a confession to make.  Some of you may not like it, either.
Here it is: I like winter.
I love how snow stacks atop fenceposts creating tophats made of pure cotton.  I like how the whole landscape becomes whitewashed, how the sky color-shifts so blue you want to poke it to see if it’s real.  I like seeing small creeks grow scales of ice before they burrow themselves underneath crescent drifts of snow.  I love how sounds are hushed.  I enjoy seeing the crisscross tracks of animals where they have come and gone.
Sure, I tire of the cold.  I would like a month less of winter.  But I love it just the same.
Yesterday, I drove to the cabin where winter has arrived in full.  I had to drop my truck into four-wheel drive and then kick and buck my way in from the main road.
Once there, I took the opportunity to burn a chest-high tangle of branches I stacked in the meadow after knocking down a couple snags this summer.
A chickadee flew in and perched in a nearby tree and watched for a while.
Fire, sky, snow, and occasionally a bird.
These are elements in the winter.



-- Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. I remember how the road to Alice Creek looks like in winter. And how I slipped while walking on one of the frozen lakes of Helena. And I remember having snow flakes fall around me while soaking in the hot tub one magical winter night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winter has a certain beauty. It can be a bit long in Montana, but I do like it to a point.

    ReplyDelete