Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, March 30, 2018

The Gravesite


I don’t always admire the sun.  Sometimes, it burns my skin and cracks the earth at my feet.  But, yesterday, the springtime sun felt like a warm kiss against my entire body.
At midday, encouraged by the warmth, I strode out into the honey-colored prairie grasses in front of my home.  I was hoping to discover the first green fingers of bitterroot emerging from the soil.  Maybe a tufted phlox renewing against open ground.
Late last spring I buried Carmel, one of my cats, below a long-needled pine tree at the rim of the gulch at the back of my home.  Near the end of summer a grave robber tried to burrow down to Carmel.  Maybe a skunk.  Maybe a fox or run-around dog.
When I discovered the transgression, I raked the disturbed stones and dirt and pine needles back into the hole.
Yesterday, thinking about Carmel, I turned back and walked to his gravesite. 
A new layer of shed pine needles lay overtop Carmel’s resting place.  The needles shone a deep red where brushed by sunlight.  Above me, the branches and green needles of the tree lifted a little in a cool up-wind from iced-over lake below.
He was a good boy.
Spring is the hardest season.  Not winter.  Spring is when you realized we are not all coming alive again.
-- Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Carmel was the only cat so far who dared take a nap on top of my tummy. I choose to imagine him frolicking in cat heaven and enjoying all the fried chicken he can eat. I do miss Carmel.

    ReplyDelete