Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Wild East


Yesterday, after winnowing through the National Electrical Code while teaching an exam preparation course for some journeymen about to take the master electrician’s test, I came home and melted into my sofa.
This teaching stuff is hard work.
As my teaching buddy, Steve, always expounds: “Electricity is hard!”
For some strange reason, I am one of those fraction-of-a-percenters who really enjoys the Code.  To me, the provisions written within the Code range on a scale that starts at confounding but ends at Shakespearean.  Between the ends of this spectrum, I truly enjoy the knitting of shalls and shall nots, the formalized structure.   I even enjoy the run-on sentences dragging ahead like heavy freight trains.  And, in the end, I enjoy toying with my own plain English conversions for better understanding.
Crazy, thick, and perplexing as the Code can be, I think we really need it in place.  I can express why we need it in photograph after photograph.  Today, for example, I am posting a couple photographs I captured in Vietnam in 2009.
-- Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment