Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Rustic Cabin Spiders Don’t Take Showers


That girl and I overnighted in a somewhat rustic cabin.
For those of you who don’t exactly know what a rustic cabin is, I will give you a quick rundown.
Our rustic cabin was located deep in the woods and made of stacked logs.  The cabin listed wholly to one side, and the logs were assembled in such manner as to let slices of daylight through at various points.  Additionally, our rustic cabin had exactly three receptacles placed strategically where you didn’t need them.  It also featured a bathroom with a spongy metal floor and a rusting metal shower stall I would guess to have been manufactured in the early 1950s.  As an added bonus, the showerhead inside the stall was fixed someplace between the neck and belly button of most people.
In a word: splendid.
Anyhow, I learned some things while taking a shower early in the morning.  First, constantly showering your belly button is not nearly as satisfying as showering your head and face.  Also, showering with a spider is a bit confusing.
That’s correct.  A spider.
There are a lot of dynamics at play here.  For one thing, you are naked with a spider.  Another factor to consider is the spider’s view on taking a shower.
Turns out rustic cabin spiders are not fond of taking a shower.
By the time I noticed the spider, it was on a web-held pendulum swing back and forth between the shower spray and naked me.
In a word: #@*%#!
I really wanted to stay in the shower.  At the same time, I really, really dislike spiders—especially spiders swinging like “freak show” Tarzan around my naked body.
Though my first, second, and third instincts were to shriek loudly and stomp around in place in unmitigated panic, I managed to silently back out of the shower.  I then reached back in and turned off the spray.   The spider quickly sucked itself back up into a rusty hole in the universe directly under the soap dish affixed to the side of the shower stall.
In the end, I walked away unbruised.  At least, at a minimum, my belly button was clean.
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. You reacted in a much more sane way than I would have. I suspect my own reaction would have ended with a shower stall circa 1950-something good for nothing more than the scrap pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I enjoyed a cup of coffee first, that might have been the result!

      Delete