Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, August 17, 2018

The Last Three Huckleberry Bushes


Huckleberries are quite finicky by nature.  The bushes are particular about where they will grow.  In short form, they only grow in beautiful places.  For the last month or so, I have been taking whole days to drive up into the mountains and harvest berries.
Huckleberry production in my normal haunts was surprisingly spotty this year.  I have found berries only in patches here and there.  I have done a lot of clawing up and down timbered slopes to find them.
Yesterday, however, I landed in a pretty decent patch of berries.  At the very end of my pick, I stumbled across three bushes that were loaded with hundreds upon hundreds of big, black berries.
We are talking about the proverbial motherlode here.
I try to be a “gentle” picker.  I often tell people I tickle the bushes until they release berries.  Not so, those last three bushes.
If those last three plants had been people, I might be jailed for how I tore into them.  I didn’t hurt the plants, but as one of my buddies often said, I went about my business “like a one-armed man killing snakes.” 
--Mitchell Hegman

3 comments:

  1. So, as a NW Montana native, I have to ask. Do you pick by hand or do you have one of those nifty modified coffee can/comb "chugger" jobbies? Either way, I am insanely jealous of your hoard, I haven't had decent huckleberry anything since I left my beloved homeland in 1994.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a hand picker. It isn't science for me...it's a love affair. Haha. Perhaps a trip back home during huckleberry season is in order.

      Delete
    2. Pretty sure if I came home I'd never leave. The appeal of becoming a hermit (of the non-dangerous sort that MT seems to attract) is entirely appealing!

      Delete