Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Stretching Their Bones


Desiree’s garbage man lives under a bridge in her Manila suburb.
He is not technically “the” garbage man.  As so many people in the Philippines, the garbage man invented his own job for a little money.
Early in the morning in Makati City, where Desiree lives, the garbage truck stops on the main road near her narrow side street.  One of the men from the truck then walks down the nearby streets blowing a shrill whistle—a call for citizens to haul their trash down to the waiting garbage truck.
Simple enough.
But that’s where the garbage man enters the story.  He pushes a cart down Desiree’s street collecting trash from doorways so he can haul the trash down to the awaiting garbage truck.  The residents often meet him at their doors and give him change or small denominations of bills for his work.  
As I said, the garbage man lives under a bridge.  He is not an old man.  He has a wife and young children.  Given that, Desiree pays him a little as often as possible.  She also gives him clothing.  Sometimes food.
When the coronavirus pandemic started washing through countries outside of China, I engaged in serious conversations with Desiree.  “I think you should start stocking up on dry goods and frozen foods.” I suggested.  “Maybe buy a little extra here and there.  This this is not looking good.”
Various forms of social distancing, hoarding, and shortages developed not long after.  Fortunately, Desiree was well-prepared.
I talk to Desiree early in her mornings; a time when her city is filled with sharp sounds.  A neighbor’s inner-city rooster is always crowing.  On many mornings, I also hear the city worker’s sharp whistle passing below her second story window calling for trash.   A few days ago, hearing the whistle, I thought about the garbage man.  “I worry about the garbage man during all of this,” I told Desiree.  “Do you think we can put together some food for him, too?”
“Yes.”
Over the next few days, Desiree put together a bag with some dry goods and canned food.  She will give it to the garbage man in a day or so.   We talked about that again yesterday.  “Thank you for doing that,” I told her.  Helping someone like that is the very best we can do.  In the wrong time, we could be the people under the bridge.”
“I like helping others,” she assured me.  “Especially when they are stretching their bones.”
“What does that mean: stretching their bones?”  I laughed.  
“It means they are trying as hard as they can.”
“Oh…I like that.  That’s an interesting turn of words.  And a good sentiment.”
Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment