Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

The Great Toilet Paper Rush


I like toilet paper as much as the next guy.  But the huge rush on toilet paper due to the coronavirus pandemic is unsettling to me.  The human reasoning (or lack of such) underlying the panic purchase of something that is neither wholly vital to life, nor likely to vanish due to the pandemic, points to worse behavior to come.
Yesterday, I needed to buy a few grocery essentials.  I stopped at two stores.  Though I have a pretty good supply of toilet paper, I whisked down the paper products aisle of the first store just to assess the stock.  I found the toilet paper, napkin, and paper towel gondola empty save a half-dozen packs of napkins on one shelf and a stack of about a dozen paper towel packs on another shelf.
Costco, my next stop was out of both toilet paper and paper towels.
The big empty.
More telling?  When I arrived at the store, I found a police patrol car parked directly in front of the store entrance.  Just inside the automatic doors, stacks of empty shipping pallets formed a kind of canyon.  The wooden canyon funneled shoppers into the store at the entry and prevented a mob from entering all at once.  Stranger yet, a police officer was stationed at the end of the string of check stands.
Apparently, some ugly brawls erupted at the store yesterday.
Are you kidding me?  Are we in Helena, Montana?
Just for fun, I decided to check Amazon for toilet paper when I arrived back home again.  Though I found a lot of brands and options, most were overpriced and out of stock.  Hilariously (dubiously), a few “used” options for purchase were available.
I am not sure used toilet paper is, or should be, a thing.
For further adventure, I clicked through a few of the available brands to see when I might expect delivery if I opted to purchase.  Delightful!  Everything I checked showed a delivery date of somewhere between the last week of April and the first week of May.
More than a month out.
This is getting weird and frightening.
Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment