Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, May 2, 2020

The Chickadee of Death


Chickadees are tiny birds.  They also produce rather charming, soft dee-dee-dee sounds and flit about somewhat erratically.  They are by nature sociable and non-poisonous.
The chickadees near my house have been exceptionally friendly toward me since I started feeding them seeds regularly.  Many of them are comfortable with landing on my hand to take seeds. On several occasions, a chickadee has landed on my head while I stood near their feeder.
For the past week or so, around midday, I have raised my garage door, dragged a folding chair out near my Mayday tree, and sat there reading a hardback novel in warming sunlight.  I did so again yesterday.  While sitting there, engrossed in a particularly complicated passage (involving some sex), I was “attacked” by the chickadee of death.
The bird shot out of the nearby and landed suddenly on the top of my book as I held it in front of my face.  For an instant, I thought (irrationally) I was a goner.  I gasped (I think the bird did, too) and pulled back from the book.
Just as abruptly as the chickadee appeared, the bird tumbled away through the air.
Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment