Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 4, 2020

White Marsh Marigold


Fortunately, my buddy Bill got stuck in a massive snowdrift while we were riding ATVs the other day.  Actually, the good fortune was found in the fact we were rather boxed in by something of a swamp when we encountered the drift.
Allow me to explain.
While my three riding companions assessed the best possible way to dig Bill’s machine from the snowdrift, I wandered out to inspect a flourish of flowers I spotted on the fringes of the marsh just of the road.
Lucky me!  A new find.  I didn’t recall seeing these wildflowers in any of my previous travels.
I captured a couple images of the flowers and then identified them once I returned home.
The flowers were a white marsh marigold (sometimes referred to as elkslip).  This particular flower often emerges in the melting snow and likes to have its feet wet during early growth and flowering—exactly as I found them.
The flowers, about the same diameter as golf ball, are simple in design, but lovely nonetheless.
I have posted two images I captured with my smarter-than-me-phone.

Mitchell Hegman
Sources: Wildflowers of Montana, http://montana.plant-life.org

No comments:

Post a Comment