Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Thousands of Reasons

I and my late wife purchased our cabin property in the year 2000.  Our path to finding and purchasing the property proved long and frustrating.  To begin, Uyen and I had exacting requirements.  We wanted property supporting a creek with trout, with at least one border adjoining forest service holdings, and easy access by any automobile.

I will spare you the long list of properties and issues we encountered.  We looked for months and months.  In July of 2000 we rode with some friends down through the upper Blackfoot Valley while on our way to Big Fork for a weekend stay.  Before we left our house, Uyen had printed a couple photos and a crude map for another property.  As we neared the turnoff to the property, Uyen told our friends about it and suggested we might swing in for a look.

“That’s okay,” I told my friend (who was driving), “we don’t need to stop.”  I didn’t want to put them out of the way and, truthfully, I was beginning to doubt we would ever find what we wanted.

“I want to see the property,” my friend said.  “Besides, I have to pee.”

We turned off highway 200 and soon entered the forest.  The deeper we drove into the forest, the more I liked what I saw.  A bit over a mile later we reached the realtor’s sign.  A bridge across a creek led into the property.  We pulled off the main road, stopped just shy of the bridge, and climbed out of the truck. 

Uyen and I walked out onto the center of the bridge.  “This creek is on the property?” I asked.

“Yes.  Over six-hundred feet runs through.  Forest service on two sides.”

I literally spun around at the center of the bridge.  Though we were in the midst of severe drought, I smelled water.  In the meadow and surrounding forest understory, I saw flowers.  Thousands of them: fleabane, fireweed, sticky geranium, on others.  Thousands or reasons to purchase the property.

“This is it,” I said.

Uyen smiled and in her cute accent said, “Dis it.”

Within a few days we made an offer on the parcel.

Yesterday, before leaving the cabin for home, I wandered the property.  I found myself marveled by the proliferation of wildflowers.

Posted today are some of the thousands of reasons I fell in love with the property.


Lady’s Slipper Orchid


Lupine


Paintbrush and Lupine


Iris in the Meadow


Mitchell Hegman


No comments:

Post a Comment