Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Morning Report from the Cabin

I arrived at my cabin yesterday morning, worked on my latest project (see the photograph below), and overnighted here so I can continue my project this morning after coffee and breakfast.

I had a visitor yesterday afternoon.  One of my upstream cabin neighbors stopped in so I could listen to him.  We got pretty close to a regular back-and-forth conversation, but he likes to talk.   I did my due diligence and listened.

Here is what I learned:  My neighbor had both hips replaced at once.  His recovery took three months.  He also had his neck fused and had a cancerous spot removed from his nose.  I learned the names of some neighbors he does not like.  His son is battling an unknown, fatiguing illness.  He struggles a little with saying the word “ombudsman.”

Good stuff, providing you are an avid listener.  And, honestly, I am pleased he stopped in.  Otherwise it’s just me, Chip (the chipmunk), and the creek (which also chatters day and night).

In the early evening, a thunder and lightning storm sat directly on top of my cabin and thrummed at the roof and walls.  By dusk, the storm had lifted and tiny winged insects began conducting inspections of the entire forest around me.

The insects didn’t need my help, so, I crashed for the night.


Wearing My Eye Protection


Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment