Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, June 20, 2020

This Blog Is Not About Bluebirds

Every year, on this blog, I record and report my first returned bluebird sighting in early spring.  I have been recording the arrival dates of the bluebirds in my personal journals since the mid-1990’s.  This yearly exercise is frivolous but quietly satisfying at the same time.

This blog is not about bluebirds.

I wrote that blog on March 9 of this year.

In more recent years, I have been documenting the yearly flourish of ball cactus blooming on the prairie surrounding my house.  They are known locally as pincushion cactus.  More importantly, the blossoms of the ball cactus are easily the brightest flowers to bloom on our prairie.

They glow like electrified beacons.

When you first see one of the glowing cacti, your instinct is to look for an attached extension cord so you can follow the cord back to where it is plugged into a receptacle providing power for making the blossom so vivid.

Well, the time has come.

Beacons are beginning to glow across the prairie.

Posted is a photograph of a ball cactus on display this year.


Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment