Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Scenes from a Warm Winter Day

After our recent spell of Arctic weather, yesterday’s warmer temperatures called for a gathering at the lake.  I hiked down to the lakeshore to join my neighbors after a short walk on the road in front of my house.

I enjoyed feeling the sun pressing heat against me as I walked.  And the sky was big yesterday.  Bigger than normal, it seemed.  From end to end, the deep blue of midday was marbled with clouds flowing eastward.

Down at the lake, we enjoyed the requisite fire near the shore, but also had a sledding run just off the fire, and an Estes hobby rocket to launch.

I put the rocket together.  I would like to note that I even applied all the decals to the craft.   The rocket is designed to reach over a thousand feet above the launch pad with the engine provided in the kit.

Everyone took at least a single run down the hill using one of the various plastic sleds available.  I ended up sprawled out near the bottom of the run with snow in my left ear.  Sawyer shot off the run and crashed into a wooden pallet, but survived just fine.

We hauled my rocket out onto the middle of the lake ice hoping to launch against blue sky and sweeping clouds.    Sadly, the winds proved too strong on the lake.  We were forced to scrub the mission.  Maybe later this morning on that.

I have posted a few photographs from the day.


    

Sun over the Elkhorn Range



Stacie on a Sledding Run



Amelia (Stylish in Her Snowsuit)



Sawyer at the End of a Sledding Run



Scrubbed Rocket Launch

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment