Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Weed Eaters

My neighbor, Leo, by the end of his days, had a 55-gallon drum filled with weed eaters standing on their tiptoes inside it.  Leo kept the drum of weed eaters in his Quonset hut shop.

I remember visiting Leo in his shop some seventeen years before his passing.  At the time, Leo had only three weed eaters.  I had expressed interest in buying a new weed eater for myself.  I sat on the back rack of his four-wheeler as Leo showed his weed eaters. 

“It’s been six months today,” Leo said as the two of us looked over a red weed eater.  “Six months since Elma died.”

Elma.  Leo’s wife.

“I miss her a lot,” he added.

I balanced the red weed eater in my hands for the “feel” of it.  I am never quite sure about the best things to say at such times. 

I looked over to the other two weed eaters.  An orange one.  A green one.  At times like these there are not enough weed eaters.  Not even a barrel filled with them will do.   And their color really doesn’t matter.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment