Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Big Turnips

People do strange things.

In my way of thinking, growing turnips is strange.  While I am a fan of vegetables, I find turnips unpalatable.  Additionally, they are often too woody to whittle down to size for shooting from the potato gun on my back deck.   

In spite of this, there is a man named Damien Allard in Carleton-sur-Mer, Quebec, Canada, growing big turnips.  Really big.  After growing a 15.4-pound turnip in 2016, he set out to challenge the Guinness World Record, occupied since 2004 by a turnip weighing 39 pounds.

Mr. Allard’s 2020 crop of turnips produced three record-breaking turnips.   The largest weighed-in at 63.9 pounds.  The other two weighed 50.49 pounds and 53.79 pounds, respectively.

Personally, I would rather break the Guinness World Record for running with knives.



Mitchell Hegman

Source: UPI

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, no thank you. On a slightly related note, I recently discovered that I do not like parsnips and am mad that I added a few to an Irish stew I made.

    ReplyDelete