Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, February 12, 2021

Ink: Another Casualty

I regularly purchase my printer ink at Costco.  Yesterday, I stopped there to do little shopping.  Knowing my printer cartridges are on the verge of winking out, I blasted down the aisle where ink cartridges are found.

I walked the aisle twice but failed, both times, to spot my required cartridge type on display.

As luck would have it, two Costco employees were nearby—busily screwing up the store.

Okay, before I go on, I need to explain the “screwing up the store” thing.  That’s what I call it when store employees move stuff to a new location in the store so I can no longer find it.  And that is exactly what these two fellas were doing.

Anyhoo…I asked about the ink cartridges.

“Can’t get ‘em,” says the 7-foot-tall employee.  They are having trouble making them.  The ink isn’t the problem.  It’s the chips they use.”

“Huh.  Weird.  Thanks,” I said.  I plodded off to the wine aisle.

The Covid thing has created some strange shortages.  Toilet paper.   Are you kidding?   Cleaning supplies.  Canning Jars.

And now, the little wafer brains needed for commanding my printer’s ink cartridges.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment