Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, May 20, 2022

Bullsnake Rescue

The largest snake found in Montana is the bullsnake (sometimes referred to as a gophersnake).  Bullsnakes commonly range between three and five feet in length.  Many people consider them beneficial because they subsist largely by hunting and eating rodents.

My neighbor, Kevin, and I are protective of our local bullsnake population.  For several years we made certain a five- or six-foot snake living along our lakeshore remained unmolested by anyone visiting us.

The other day, on a drive to town, I found a rather beefy-looking four-foot bullsnake stretched out on the road, sunning.  The snake did not move when I swerved around him and stopped.  I immediately realized the next car might unwittingly or purposely run over him.

When I trotted back to shoo the snake of the road, the snake coiled up and hissed, sounding somewhat like a rattler, a common defense mechanism for bullsnakes.

The snake displayed zero interest in leaving the road and struck in my direction a couple times.  After a lot of space dancing and poking around the snake on my part, I failed to inspire any movement.

I next went hunting for a long stick to use for nudging the snake off the road.  Eventually, I pried a dead branch from a nearby flourish of sagebrush.  Using the branch, I shoveled the snake off the road and nudged it partway down an embankment.

I am hoping the snake will stay clear of the road for the rest of the season.



The Bullsnake Standing its Ground the Road



On the Embankment After Release

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment