Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Drive-by Shooting with a Camera

I am teaching Desiree the fine art of what I call “drive-by shooting” with a camera.  In this case we are using smarter-than-me-phones for our cameras.

Two drive-by shooting types can be practiced.

In one drive-by type, you simply snap a photograph through the window of the car as you zip along the highway.  Sometimes, you may roll down the window to make certain glare from the glass doesn’t foul the image.  My brother-in-law, Terry, engaged in a version of this where he shoved his phone out into the wind through an open window and promptly dropped the phone onto the highway.

Neither my brother-in-law nor I recommend this method while still rolling along.

The other type of drive-by shooting calls for stopping the car for a moment so you can hang the phone out the window and frame a quick shot.

Desiree engaged in drive-by shootings of the scenery on our drive home from Colstrip.  She has become especially fond of capturing images of Montana’s snow-capped mountains ranges.

I am posting two of her drive-by images of the Crazy Mountains. 




—Mitchell Hegman  

No comments:

Post a Comment