Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, May 6, 2022

Radio Pest Control

I am in the process of installing a shading system in my sunroom.  The system is complex enough I decided to read the instructions before I screw up rather than after.

One type of bracket used to fasten a series of rails to the existing structure is a wee bit too long.  To remedy the problem, I hiked down the hill to my neighbor’s shop so I could grind-down one side of each bracket enough for a proper fit.   

My neighbor, Kevin, leaves a tinny-sounding radio perpetually playing in the shop.  The radio is tuned into a country station.  “I am hoping it will keep the mice out,” he told me when I asked him why the radio was always on.

My taste for country music is limited.  As soon as I entered the shop, I found myself cringing at the song I heard.  Once I got to work, the grinder completely drowned out the radio.  But each time I stopped grinding, the worst kind of over-produced and formulaic songs assaulted me.

As I gathered up my brackets and gloves after completing my work, it occurred that I had found no sign of mice in the shop.  I think the radio trick (and the station selection) is working.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment