Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, May 5, 2022

First Snow

For every 4,131 people in Montana hoping they will never see snow again (Keith Allen counts for two in this regard), there is one person wanting nothing more than to find some snow.  Yesterday, I drove the one person wanting to see snow to the top of MacDonald and dumped her out onto a drift alongside the road.

Obviously, I am talking about Desiree.  And the drift I found for her near the top of the pass was the first snow she had ever encountered in her life.

“I can’t believe it,” she exclaimed as she stomped around on the squishy drift.  “I’m in snow!”

As Desiree pranced about in the snow, a dozen or so automobiles filled with snow-haters swooped around the bend in the highway nearest us.

“This is so cool!” she said.

The huge drifts on the lee side of the snow fences as the crest of the pass also impressed Desiree.  “You’ll see plenty of snow before we are through,” I assured her.  “Snow is a thing here in Montana.” 


 

Desiree’s First Snow

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment