Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Charley Horse

Somewhere after midnight, I woke in my bed and tried to shift my position.  The instant I tried to move, a severe cramp knotted-up the calf in my left leg.  I immediately drew my leg up and rocked backed and forth in the bed, grimacing.

I am both a baby regarding pain and a bit vocal about it.  Though I managed to avoid screaming out, my rocking woke Desiree.

“What’s wrong?” Desiree asked with a tinge of panic in her voice.

“Charley horse,” I hissed between my teeth.

This morning, the thought occurred that Desiree may not be familiar with “Charley horse.”   My use of American slang often baffles her.

The term ‘Charley horse’ is a particularly strange one to use for a muscle cramp and appears to have originated with baseball players in the 1880s.  Some attribute the term as a reference to a lame horse named Charley that worked at the Chicago White Sox playing field.

I am limping this morning and will adopt that theory for today.

Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Hope your better. Doc gave me meds because I get hem every night and day. The pickles didn't work.pn me and the meds got me sick so I am trying to live with it. I have to get up and try to stand when it happens. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are a rare event, thankfully. I am intrigued by the pickle thing. I might try that.

      Delete