Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Adding to the Bone Pile

I have firmly established my level of idiocy.  Based on my most recent work on the Versetta Stone siding for the sunroom, I am a ‘third-level’ idiot.

Let’s revisit yesterday so I can explain.

Yesterday, I attempted to cut a single stone panel that will accommodate a switch, a thermostat, and (on the opposite end of the panel) the curve of the sunroom glazing.  In all, six different cuts are required to produce the required shape from a single Versetta Stone panel.

On my first attempt, I miscut the vertical cut for the switch.  On the second attempt, my horizontal cut for the thermostat carried too deep.  On my third attempt, I mismarked a different cut.  By the time I finished with all of this, I had added three panels to my Versetta Stone ‘bone pile.”

After pitching the third miscut panel into the bone pile, I twiddled my thumbs and mentally assessed.  How stupid am I?  Am I willing to try a fourth panel on the same day?

Nope.

I held firm at three wasted panels.  After cleaning up my mess, I quietly got to work on paying a few bills.

Later this morning—on a fresh day--I will try a fourth panel.



Miscut Stone



My Bone Pile

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment