Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Broken Light

Late last night, a fierce lightning storm marched through mountains.  I woke to harsh light strobing throughout my house each time a stroke of lightning plunged into the sprawl of peaks and valleys north and south of me.

At times, the broken light seemed to rip my house in two.  One flash of light might place a bright wall too close to me; while the next pushed walls too far away.  Alternating between the north and south side of my house, the splashes of light delivered strange shadows that made tables and chairs appear to dance all around me.

As a young boy, these displays of too overly bright light and crazy shadows terrified me.  But last night I watched in fascination as light juggled the contents of my house before my eyes.

In the end, everything we see is merely a trick of the light and I am here to enjoy the show.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment