Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Complaint or Statement?

While talking on the phone with an electrician friend, I caught myself carping about some confusing mandates found within the 2020 National Electrical Code.   “Oh, jeez,” I said, “I’m starting to sound just like an electrician – I’m complaining about everything.”

“Are you making complaints or statements?” he asked.

I thought for a moment, scratching at my head.  “Hmm.  Never thought about it.  That’s a fine line.”

“My family has been giving me a hard time about complaining recently.  I am trying to convince them I am only making statements and not complaining.”

“You may have a point,” I said.  “But I’m not sure I know where I begin separating the two.”

Following our conversation, I thought about just one common phrase expressed by electricians after reading a section of Code: “This doesn’t make any sense.”

Is that a complaint or a statement?  Written on paper, it could fall either way – especially if the Code really doesn’t make sense at first reading.

In the end, the determination seems dependent on the tone of the speaker and the perceptions of the listener.  The difference is situational.

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment