Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Public Holdings

Over the years, I have held unchanging views regarding how public holdings such as forest service property should be treated.  At the same time, I have had many conversations, sometimes debates, with others about this.

Essentially, I feel we should be free use the land, for picking berries, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, and so forth, but do so with the utmost care and respect for all resources provided.  On more than one occasion, someone has suggested to me that we should treat our public lands as if we own them (which in a sense we do).

My response is this: “No.  I think we can do better.  I try to treat the land as if you own it and have been kind enough to let me use it.”

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment