Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, November 12, 2022

Late for Departure

Somewhere in the countless days leading to this one, I read about a school for training flight attendants.  The school enforced one particularly stringent rule.  If a student arrived late for class (without an extraordinary excuse), they were immediately ejected from the training.

The reason for this, obviously enough, is because flight attendants cannot arrive late for work and compromise a scheduled flight’s departure time.

During my days training apprentices, one of my students arrived a few minutes late for class two days in a row.  I gave him the benefit of doubt on the first day, but on the second morning, I asked him to join me in my office.

“You can’t be late for class,” I told the apprentice once he stepped into my office.  “Why couldn’t you make it here on time?”

The apprentice shuffled around a bit, shrugged.  “I was only three or four minutes late.  I guess time got away from me.”   

“Okay, let’s say it’s three minutes late.  When was the last time you got on a plane three minutes after it departed?”

“Well…never,” he answered.

“Exactly,” I said.  “Late is late.  I don’t see any other way to look at it.  My flight leaves at eight in the morning.”

Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment