Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, July 12, 2023

The Lifted Lemonade

A strange thing happened at the grocery. First, we got behind a super slow middle-aged man at the checkout stand. He was slow enough at bagging his own goods (which was required) that we stepped back to allow him to finish, while another customer with a handful of items passed through us as we waited. Our goods ended up piling almost directly against his after being scanned. After the guy finally finished (with another customer now pressing against us), Desiree and I quickly swept in to bag our groceries.

When I picked up a six-pack of Mike's Hard Lemonade, I immediately noticed only five bottles in the box. I felt certain it held six bottles when I pulled it off the shelf. Desiree handled the six-pack at the checkout conveyor, and the store employee who scanned it didn't notice a missing bottle.

The clerk allowed me to fetch a full six-pack. As we finally pushed off with our cart to exit the store, I said to Desiree, “I'm certain that six-pack was full when we picked it up.”

“I thought so, too,” Desiree remarked.

“I think the guy ahead of us lifted one of the bottles.”

“You think?”

“I do.” I shrugged my shoulders. “People are weird.”



—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment