Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Stupid Busy

Over the weekend, a 58-year-old man drowned after falling off a jet-ski in Hauser Lake, a couple of miles from my lakeshore property. The man, his wife, and their dog were on the jet-ski when it tipped over and spilled them into the water. Neither rider was wearing a life preserver.

I was down at the lake near the same time the drowning occurred. At that time, the lake was what I call “stupid busy.'” There were at least two dozen watercraft (a mix of boats and jet-skis) pinballing and bucking about amid huge waves produced by wakeboarding boats.

“I wouldn’t even put my boat out in that mess if you paid me to,” I told a couple of lakeshore neighbors as we sat in some shade, watching from the shore. “At this rate, somebody is going to get killed out there.”

I’m not sure if the heavy waves and the 'stupid busy' atmosphere played a part in the drowning, but the shore is the only place for me when everyone comes out to play on the weekends.

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment