Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Power Production

As far as power production goes, (size, if you prefer), I have a modest solar PV system. Given various limiting factors, my maximum production lands at somewhere near 3,600 watts of electrical power at 240 volts. Translated into current, this yields 15 Amps.

Of course, energy produced by a PV array is very much dependent on sunlight, and power will peak only when the sunlight strikes the modules (and cells) in a direct fashion. For this reason, production charted on a fixed array such as mine follows a bell curve, mirroring the path of the sun from sunrise to sunset.

My system is net-metered, meaning any power I produce and don’t use is pushed back onto the grid for use by others, and I get credited for this. Last month, I produced enough power that between what I used and what I pushed back onto the grid, I offset my power bill by $80.

Yesterday, just because I have the technology, I measured the current being produced by my PV array at a little before noon. I measured 12.3 amps.

I like 12.3 amps!

I have posted a few photographs to showcase my solar PV system (since I have the technology to do that, too).


My PV System at Work


A Charted Day of Production from My Array


12.3 Amps!

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. When was the last time you washed the array?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly enough, some of the wet and melting snows do a pretty good job of keeping the array free of most collected dust and grime. Do it get regular cleaning in that manner.

      Delete