Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, July 21, 2023

Needle-and-Thread Grass

Needle-and-thread grass, also known as porcupine grass, is a species native to the western United States. Its range stretches from the Great Plains to the Intermountain West and extends into parts of California and Oregon. This perennial bunchgrass has evolved to thrive in arid and semi-arid regions, showcasing its impressive drought tolerance. The plant's unique name is derived from the needle-like awns that extend from its seeds, resembling a needle threaded through fabric.  As kids we called it spear grass.

This year, given our exceptionally wet spring, the needle-and-thread grass produced an abundance of seeds.  The seeds are now fully cured and shedding from the tall (sometimes two foot) stalks that produced them.  A short walk through the prairie near my house will usually lead to at least one seed getting caught in my socks.  On occasion one of the seeds will stick in my skin and compel me to yelp.  I have posted a photograph of one of my socks after a walk.


Needle-and-Thread Grass


My Sock


Needle-and-Thread Seed

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment