Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 6, 2024

The Freezer

Our old-timey upright freezer is due for replacement. While it freezes items well enough, it builds up thick layers of frost quickly. We purchased a replacement and are now preparing to swap our frozen goods between them. At present, the new freezer is acclimating to the house in the dining room. I will unbox it later today, push it back into the laundry room alongside the old freezer, and plug it in to cool it down. In a day or so, we will swap goods.

It's weird having a new freezer just standing in your dining room. It’s a hulking presence. I have lived with a half dozen cats over the years. All of them were wary of any new box I brought into the house. The bigger the box, the more cautious the cats. I can only imagine how they might react to this. This is the stuff cat horror stories are made of.

The Freezer

—Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Until you empty the box. Cats like enclosed spaces. Here’s a neat trick - place a string in a loop big enough to hold a cat on the floor. Your cat will find the loop and curl up in it (so I’m told).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I still had a cat, I would like to try that with a string.

      Delete