Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Putting Montana Together

Desiree and I are putting together a jigsaw puzzle of Montana. As a Montana native, the process is satisfying because I can pick up pieces and immediately recognize the town, mountain range, and know, generally, where they must be placed. At the same time, I enjoy imagining how Montana would function in the incomplete state of construction as it presently exists on my dining room table. I imagine water pooling in the places where I have failed to connect together sections of the Missouri River. How would the citizens of Missoula feel knowing I have yet to put half of the town in place? What if I put together a few pieces in the wrong way for U.S. Highway 2, and it suddenly came to a dead end along Montana’s Hi-Line? Hopefully, when we reach the end of this venture, a piece of Montana is not missing. We need all of it.

Montana (the Puzzle) 

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment