Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Lemon Tree at -40 Degrees

Yesterday, on a morning drive into town, the thermometer on my truck registered an outside temperature of -40F. In my hometown of East Helena, Montana, that’s cold enough to prompt us to drag out an extension cord and plug in our car to keep it warm enough to start. Upon arrival back home, I stepped into the sunroom to shake off the cold and say a few words to my lemon tree, which started another growth spell a couple weeks ago. The tree is growing several offshoot branches now, some of which have reached a length of eight inches or so and show no sign of stopping at that.   

Even during sub-zero temperatures, the lemon tree carries on happily in its climate-controlled space. And yesterday, in spite of the chill outside, the sun warmed the room impressively. I have shared a photograph of the lemon tree (while holding the requisite Cold Smoke Beer for a size comparison). I have also shared a photograph of the temperature display from my truck.

The Lemon Tree

My Truck Showing -40F

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment