Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, April 25, 2024

The Bucket

 After successfully getting the sprinkler system running properly down at the lake, I used a 5-gallon bucket (with water dipped from the lake) to water a few stray trees. I probably like buckets a bit more than I should. I use them for storage, for hauling things, and sometimes employ them as temporary tables and stands.

As I used the bucket to carry water down at the lake, I thought about another bucket I had down there some fifteen or so years ago. Upon arriving at the lakeshore one weekend, I found a couple teenage kids, a boy and a girl, fishing off my dock. Beside them on the dock sat a bucket I always had handy at the nearby pavilion. A couple perch flicked about in water within the bucket as I approached the kids.

“Are you guys from one of the cabins next door?” I asked.

“Yep,” responded the boy.

“Fish are biting a little?”

“Yep.”

“Well, if that’s the case, I don’t mind if you fish from my dock. All I ask is that you leave my bucket here after you use it.”

After my chat with the kids, I mowed the lawn, which was my entire reason for dropping down to the lake. As soon as I finished mowing, I bid farewell to the kids. A few days later, on my next visit to the lakeshore, I found myself without a bucket. The kids had failed me. I thought about this as I watered yesterday. I must admit, I am not yet over the loss of that bucket.

Buckets In My Garage

—Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment