Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Coins in the Sofa, Morsels in the Cat Dish


As I boy I would on occasion pull off and scatter all the sofa cushions at our house and then dig through the folds of the sofa for loose change.  I sometimes found a coin or two.   For whatever reason, dimes and pennies seemed to collect in the sofa more than other coins.  In some rare instances I found quarters that had dropped into the folds.
Tearing into the sofa, though not always profitable, felt satisfying on all occasions for the simple reason it provided me with a project.   I was a rather hyperactive young man or, if you prefer, annoying, destructive, and possibly dangerous.  As example, I often tore apart the clocks in our house to try and figure out how they worked.   Early on I determined that both light sockets and electrical outlets are capable of producing minor explosions with the introduction of cleverly bent bobby pins.
My cat Splash, 20 pounds out of the 40 pounds of housecat I am presently cohabitating with, has found the feline equivalent of change in the sofa.  He figured out that morsels of food sometimes drop into the bottom of the compartmented cat food dishes.  Sometimes he drags the dishes around the kitchen and tears them apart simply because he is bored or irritated with Carmel—the remaining 20 pounds of cat. 
The other night, an extended racket brought me into the kitchen.  Below, I have posted a picture of what I found.  By the time I snapped the photograph, Splash had stretched-out to rest on the nearby throw.

 
--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: