Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Football versus Baseball (When Should a Player Scratch His Ass?)


I am not really much for watching sports.  I don’t know much about them, either.  I cannot tell you which team won the Super Bowl last year.  I don’t even know which teams played in the World Series this year. 
At social gatherings, my friends often converse about this quarterback and that right fielder and I find my mind drifting off to see which stains on the floor look like the face of the Pope or perhaps which stain resembles a horse caught jumping in mid-air.  Some of my friends are able to cite statistics regarding wins and losses for both football franchises and baseball teams going back nearly twenty years.  They may even know which supermodels the baseball pitchers are dating at present.
And they understand the rules of the games.
Between football and baseball, I rather confuse the rules, the mascots (and which ones are furry), the team names, what lines can and must be crossed, the players’ names, and even time of year when they are normally on strike.  Nonetheless, over the last couple of years I have picked up the name of Tim Tebow.  I know what an inning is.  I have even determined a striking difference between football and baseball.
The difference (I have discovered) is in when the players scratch their asses.  Players in sporting events seem quite disposed to scratch their asses—something that appears by observation to be critical to the players’ overall readiness.
Watching a football game, for instance, I noticed that the players assemble in a tight huddle and scratch their asses as a collective. In baseball, however, the players split up and stand apart before scratching their asses.
I am still attempting to work out other differences between theses sports. 
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment