Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Stillness


Late last night, following a full day of rain and solitary living, the stillness inside my house was so complete, I walked from room to room just to see if I might find a noise or even vibration anyplace.
One bed perfectly made.  My bed a bit rumpled.  Not so much as a dripping faucet in either bathroom.  The lights neither ticking nor buzzing.  No wind pressing against the house.  The refrigerator without a hum.  The floors without a squeak and my footfalls silent.  I found utter calm in every corner.
Eventually, I turned off all of the lights and slipped into my bed.  Not until then did I realize, with a tinge of fear, that the stillness was also within me.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment