Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Walking Through Rain-Smell


I woke this morning to rain-smell—summer rain after weeks of a tall sun crossing over me.  The smell of summer rain is a bouquet that fills all spaces.  Here, the scent of pine slow-dances with earth and stone.  Here, the hint of cured brome, of sage, and juniper touching the sky.
In the darkness, I walked my damp country road out onto the small plain in front of my home.  I could hear nighthawks calling off their sky-plunges, hoooozing, as they veered sideways or back up again.  The moon hovered above, not able to fully disrobe from the clouds.
I walked through rain-smell and thought about a question someone asked me the other day as we stood surrounded by twenty-somethings at a wedding reception.  “Would you like to go back into your younger years again…if you could do that?” I was asked.
This morning, I have my answer: “No.  No, I have no desire to be young again, to start anew.”  I wish to remain here near end of summer, a part of the after-rain bouquet.
--Mitchell Hegman

No comments:

Post a Comment