Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Bitch


That girl went “recreationally” shopping yesterday.  She returned from her shopping with only a couple of bags.  She purchased typical girl stuff: several bottles of white wine, a new pair of red shoes, pickled garlic, a dress, and baklava.

One bottle of wine immediately caught my attention.  The pink cap and pink label screamed for my attention. 

Labels are a big deal in my line of work.  The National Electrical Code is all about making sure warning labels are slapped on everything that might pose a potential hazard to persons.  To be technical, pretty much everything electrical is potentially hazardous if you cannot outrun electricity, which travels at a speed of 93,000 miles-per-second in copper wiring (as near as I can gather).  The Code is so concerned with labels, Section 110.21 recommends that all labels are made to a specific standard that dictates such things as coloring and font size.  The standard is found in ANSI Z535.4.  I will spare you the details.  The important thing to understand is that all of this costs a great deal of money.

As I mentioned previously, the pink wine label really caught my attention.  A good label will do that.  I immediately grabbed the bottle of wine and carried it out to my deck to take a photograph with my twice-as-smarter-than-me-phone.  As you can see from the photograph, that girl purchased a bottle of Bitch wine.

I really wanted to sample some of the Bitch wine.  As I contemplated asking that girl if I could open the bottle, a punctuation and inflection dilemma occurred to me.  How might I ask?

Following are two options I considered:

1. “I would like to try some of that Bitch!”
2. “I would like to try some of that, Bitch! 

Punctuation marks should have warning labels associated with them.  I would recommend adopting ANSI Z535.4 as a standard to follow for production of the labels.
 

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: