Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Friday, May 15, 2015

Goodnight Lucille


It is rare for me to smile upon hearing news of someone’s death.  When I do manage a smile under such circumstances, the smile is not because I am happy that the person has perished.  Far from that.  My smile is honoring a full life.  My smile is a “thank you.”   My smile is in recognition of great contributions.

I woke today with news that B.B. King passed at the age of 89.  Few men have ever achieved a life as full and meaningful as his.  He recorded more than 50 albums and literally bent the entire movement of rock and roll music in his direction while playing his Gibson guitar.  He named his guitar Lucille and regarded Lucille with genuine affection.  He and Lucille toured the world for over half a century and filled concert halls and small venues with the sound of the Delta Blues.  You can hear his influence in almost every great rock and roll song.  You can see him in my smile.

Sweet travels B. B. King.

Goodnight Lucille.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments: