Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Monday, May 4, 2015

Slicing Red Onions


Yesterday, while at a dinner gathering for friends and family, someone asked me to slice onions.  Apparently, the person asking me to slice the onions forgot how easily I am distracted while attempting to complete any form of mundane task.  I also love patterns.  The instant I sliced the red onion in half I knew I was in trouble.

Patterns!

I swept up half of the sliced onion and took it around to show everyone in sight.  “Look at this,” I burbled while holding the sliced face out for everyone to see.  “Is this cool, or what?”

“It’s an onion, Mitch,” someone remarked.  “Haven’t you seen an onion before?   That’s pretty much what they look like.”

I turned the slice face so I could see it again.  “Yep.  I have seen onions…but not one as pretty as this!”

With that final statement I left the kitchen, onion and knife in hand, and sought to find my DSLR camera.  I guess this blog is my way of apologizing if I made dinner a little late.  Really, blame falls on the pretty onion.  Finally, I apologize if my onion slices seemed a bit inconsistent in size.  Consistency in slicing and the best results for photography are not always going to run hand-in hand.   
Posted is the photographic result of my distraction.
--Mitchell Hegman

4 comments: