Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Like Hatchling Birds in a Nest of Thorns


On the barest shoulders of exposed earth all around my house you will find collections of ball cactus.  The cactus are not at all opposed to being scoured by the wind and sun.  They will happily flourish in years of little rain.  When they reach full bloom, ball cactus display an electrified red color that is conspicuous enough to stop you in your tracks.

Yesterday, while out walking, I found a few of the cactus in the earliest stages of blooming.  Lacking their “full plumage,” the blossoms look like hatchling birds in a nest of thorns.  I captured a couple of images with my twice-as-smarter-than-me-phone.

--Mitchell Hegman

2 comments:

  1. Even if they are bereft of their "full plumage" they are still riveting! Thanks you Mitch for introducing us to the ball cactus.

    ReplyDelete