Photography And Half-Thoughts By Mitchell Hegman

...because some of it is pretty and some of it is not.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Nature Photo Challenge Day #4


For the first week of life, white-tailed fawn deer adopt an unusual defense strategy.  When presented with any sense of danger, a fawn will collapse to the ground, fold back its ears, and remain perfectly still.  The fawn will not move if approached.  It may not move even if touched.  At the same time, the fawn’s breathing and heartbeat are reduced to about half the normal rate. 
This state of defense is called “alarm bradycardia.”
Newborn fawns have not yet fully developed their scent glands.  Predators—which often rely on scent and are triggered by motion—may pass by fawns in a state of bradycardia.  During this same first week, the mother (the doe) will likely try to stay hidden with her offspring.  She will also take measures to keep the fawn from developing any notable “deer” scent.  To that end, she will consume the urine and droppings of her offspring.
By the second week of life, however, the fawn will adopt the more recognized defense mechanism of running off in a panic the moment danger is sensed.
The photograph I am posting for today’s entry in the seven-day nature photo challenge is of a fawn I chanced upon near my cabin about ten years ago.  When I surprised a doe with her fawn, the doe quickly rustled off into the brush.  The fawn dropped to the ground and assumed a state of alarm bradycardia.  I slowly approached the fawn, held my camera close, and snapped a couple images.
The fawn was small enough that I could have placed it on a pillow with room to spare.  I stood near the fawn for no more than a few seconds.  I did not touch the fawn or anything near it.  After capturing the image posted here today, I quickly left the area. 
--Mitchell Hegman

Information Sources: Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife, University of Georgia.

2 comments:

  1. Super good photo and very interesting information. Mahalo! I am amazed that a doe is so protective that it will consume a fawn's urine and droppings to prevent an offspring from harm. I wish that we humans are capable of alarm bradycardia. It may be useful during times the noveau Gestapo visits if (and God forbid) Trump manages to get into the White House!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only chanced upon such an event once in my life so far. Trump...well that is another story.

    ReplyDelete